My Knitting History

My grandmother taught me how to knit when I was around 10 yrs old. It was great for about an hour then I would wander away. 15 years later on a two day road trip she retaught me my knits and purls. By the time we got home I pretty much had them down. Since she lives an hour and a half away from me I had to find a different source to learn more. I ended up here on the internet. Now I can't seem to stop knitting, if I don't have a project going...I'm lost.

Monday, August 23, 2010

Baby Blanket Redo

So I knitted a mere two inches on the first baby blanket pattern I choose and realized this just wouldn’t work. While I absolutely love the pattern, I chose the wrong yarn. It’s turning out way to heavy for a baby blanket so it is being retired for now. I don’t plan on ripping it out, but I don’t plan on working on it for a while. I figure I’ll finish it as an afghan.

So the search was on for another blanket pattern that I liked. I chose the classic feather & fan pattern, since babies love to tangle their fingers in stuff, not to mention it has a great look to it. So I picked out a simple pattern (check the link to the right called “Baby Blanket #2”) and found some really pretty baby yarn. It’s turning out excellent and has been a joy to work up. While the pattern is using seven different yarn colors, I have chose a base of powder blue with white and mint stripes. Every other mint stripe was replaced with a variegated yarn of a light blue tealish color with yellow green. I was actually rather surprised how well they all went together, but having that variegated stripe really gives the blanket a pop. At this time I think the final measurements will be approximately 30”x46” so it will be a crib blanket. I’m using size 8 needles for a slightly tighter tension and a cast on of 154 sts. My gauge is at 4 sts x 5 rows = 1”.

No comments:

Post a Comment